Here we can see, “What Is about:blank, and How Do You Remove It?”
Is about: blank the first and only thing you see when you open your browser? Then don’t worry because there is nothing wrong with your browser, and the best part is you can stop seeing it if you wish to!
What is this about:blank then?
- about:blank is just a blank webpage, nothing concerning or dangerous! It is not related to any virus or malware in any way.
- Like other built-in pages in your browser, like in Chrome, you can type about:settings into the address bar to open the Settings page. Or about:downloads to view Chrome’s file downloads list, about:blank is an empty webpage with nothing in it.
It is not from the internet but from your browser itself!
Wherefore the about:blank is used?
- Many people use about:blank as their homepage, which gives you a blank page whenever you open your browser.
- Go into your browser’s settings and let on ”about:blank” rather than another webpage.
- When a browser launches, and it has no idea what to show, it might open about:blank as it is meant to display a blank page
Whether it is malware or a piece of virus?
The about:blank isn’t harmful or anything to be afraid of; even though you are concerned that your computer might be infected, we suggest you scan with your preferred anti-malware program.
What do I even do with about:blank?
There are, in fact, many people who choose to see about:blank as their homepage simply because they prefer it that way, but if you are not one of them, then keep reading!
Your browser may be displaying this blank page to you because it doesn’t know what to show you instead. Often, browsers open this page on launching due to this.
When you tell your browser what YOU want to see, i.e., when you set a different homepage, it will show you that page instead of about:blank.
Not sure how to do this
Just follow these easy steps to say goodbye to about:blank for good!
- In Google Chrome, head to menu > Settings. Scroll down to the “On startup” section and select “Open the New Tab page” or delete about:blank from the web pages that open on startup and choose your favorite web page.
- In Mozilla Firefox, click menu > Options > Home. Select your desired home page for new windows and new tabs. Ensure “about:blank” or “Blank Page” isn’t selected here.
- In Apple Safari on a Mac, click Safari > Preferences > General. Under Homepage, remove “about:blank” and enter your desired home.
- In Microsoft’s new chromium-based Edge browser. click menu > Settings > On startup. Select “Open a new tab” or remove about:blank from the list of pages Edge opens when you launch it.
- In Internet Explorer, you can change this from the Internet Options window. (You shouldn’t be using Internet Explorer anymore, of course. Even Microsoft recommends you leave IE behind. But it may still be necessary for some old business applications and other legacy software.)
- Click the gear-shaped menu button and select “Internet Options.” Remove “about:blank” from the home page box at the top of the General pane. Enter the address of your desired home page.
I hope this information was helpful. If you have anything to add, please do so in the comments.
1. What is it about blank pages that I keep getting?
After you’ve eliminated malware from your system, the about:blank page may display. If something goes wrong during the removal process, the browser will display about:blank because it can’t finish the operation you requested.
2. What’s the deal with the phone being blank?
Most of the time, seeing an about:blank page in your browser doesn’t mean your device is infected; it just means you haven’t selected a homepage or your browser is having trouble displaying content.
3. Why am I getting a notice that says “blank” is blocked?
The rationale is simple: the browser requires a page to be displayed, but the original target is prohibited for security reasons; therefore, blank is used instead. Check your browser security settings, security software settings, and browser extensions if you’re seeing this regularly.
4. Chrome redirects to about:blank; before going to another page
5. How to disable “new tab page” – r/chrome – Reddit