Here we can see, “Turn Your Pc Into a Wi-fi Router in a Few Simple Steps”
Getting the most out of your connection was always a priority. If you’re stuck with an old modem that doesn’t support Wi-Fi, you’ll have no choice but to use a cable connection.
No one said you couldn’t transform your PC into a wireless router and share the joy of the internet with nearby Wi-Fi-compatible devices (read: every modern device out there).
As a result, we’ve provided a few options for maximizing your PC’s capabilities and using it as a virtual router. The router that we’ve all been waiting for.
If you’ve never created or configured virtual wireless routers before, the instructions outlined below should walk you through the process in no time.
How to use your PC as Wi-Fi router
1. Use Windows resources
After installing the Windows 10 Anniversary Update, users can build a Wi-Fi hotspot using only system resources.
This function is useful in various situations because it avoids installing multiple third-party programs to share the Wi-Fi or wired connection with other devices.
You need a Wi-Fi adaptor and a few adjustments, and you’re good to go.
The technique is as straightforward as they come, but we’ve broken it down for you in the steps below:
- Open Settings by right-clicking Start.
- Select Network & Internet from the drop-down menu.
- Select Mobile Hotspot from the left pane.
- “Share my internet connection with other devices” should be turned on.
- Select Edit, then give your newly formed Hotspot a name and a password.
- Click OK and attempt to connect.
2. Try Virtual Router Manager
If you’re unable to use the built-in mobile hotspot for whatever reason, there are third-party programs (or rather utilities) that can help you out.
There are a lot of tools out there, some better than others; therefore we created a list of the most trusted ones for you.
The first tool, appropriately named Virtual Router Manager, is widely considered as the best virtual router manager.
It’s a completely free tool that’s simple to set up.
Aside from that, it has a basic and easy UI and uses few resources. Here’s how to put it to work on Windows 10 (or any other Windows version):
- Here’s where you can get Virtual Router Manager.
- Run the installation as administrator by right-clicking on it.
- Restart your computer after the installation is finished.
- Open Virtual Router Manager and give your connection a name, a password, and a shared connection source.
- It should be as simple as clicking Start Virtual Router.
- If you can’t get the connection to operate, go to Network and Sharing Center > Change Adapter Settings.
- Open Properties by right-clicking on the connection you want to share.
- Check the “Allow other network users to connect through this computer’s internet connection” box under the Sharing tab and save your settings.
- If you try again, it should work perfectly.
3. Use Connectify Hotspot
The second application, Connectify Hotspot, is also highly popular in the virtual router’s area. It’s a freemium tool.
Connectify is a tad more feature-rich than Virtual Router Manager, but it maintains the general simplicity and easy design. However, the many commercials and pop-ups encouraging you to upgrade to the premium edition can grate on your nerves.
The setup is very similar, but if you have any issues, make sure to check out the procedures below:
- Connectify Hotspot can be downloaded here.
- Run the installation as an administrator by right-clicking on it.
- Restart your computer once the installation is completed.
- To set up Connectify Hotspot, follow the detailed instructions.
- Name the hotspot, set a password, and select the default sharing device among these options.
- You should be good to go after clicking “Start Hotspot.”
You should be able to utilize your Windows 10 PC as a router after following the instructions indicated above. If your hardware configuration prevents you from following the procedures above, you may simply download one of these hotspot software solutions and install it on your PC.
Download your preferred software, install it, and then just follow the on-screen directions to complete the task.
That should be the end of it. You should now be able to utilize your PC as a virtual router to provide Wi-Fi to your entire home. Finally, don’t forget to post your questions and recommendations in the comments section. We look forward to hearing from you.
I hope you found this guide useful. If you’ve got any questions or comments, don’t hesitate to use the shape below.
1. Is it possible to turn my computer into a WiFi router?
If your computer has two network cards, you can use them to transform it into a router. You’ll need at least an ethernet adapter or a Wi-Fi adaptor for your computer’s internet connection. However, you’ll need a second Wi-Fi adapter to build a wireless hotspot like a router.
2. How can I connect my PC to the Internet via wireless?
Select Settings > Network & Internet > Mobile hotspot from the Start menu. Choose the Internet connection you wish to share from. Share my Internet connection from. Select Edit, then type in a new network name and password before clicking Save. Share my Internet connection with other devices is turned on.
3. Is it possible to make your own WiFi?
You’ll need a wireless access point if you want to set up your own wireless network at home. You’ll need to set up a wireless router if your home PCs aren’t networked or if you wish to replace your Ethernet network.
4. Is there any way to turn my PC into a WiFi router? – Reddit
5. YSK how to turn your PC into a wifi hotspot (without a third …