Here we can see, “Printer Won’t Print B&w Without Color Ink”
- If your Epson printer senses that the color ink cartridges are empty, it may cease making black and white prints.
- However, by following the procedures below, you can force some Epson printers to make black and white prints without using color ink cartridges.
Printer manufacturers are known to configure their printers so that if one of the ink cartridges runs out, the printer will stop printing. The printer will not print even if you have a full black ink cartridge and want to print in black and white.
If your Epson printer doesn’t print in black and white without color ink, you can use a workaround to force it to print in black and white.
This article will go over both the official fix and alternate options for printing black and white in Windows without using color ink.
Epson printer won’t print black and white without color ink
1. Canon printer won’t print black without color ink
Set Grayscale in Print Options
- Check to see if the print job has been canceled. Click Cancel or Stop when the Epson Status Monitor status shows.
- Fill the tray with plain paper.
- Select File.
- Choose Print or Print Setup from the drop-down menu.
- Select Properties or Preferences from the drop-down menu.
- Open the Main Menu.
- Select the appropriate Quality Option settings from the drop-down menu.
- The Type setting should be Plain or Envelope.
- In Print Options, check the Grayscale option.
- To close the printer settings window, click OK.
Try printing your document again to determine if the Epson printer can only print in black and white. When the Epson Status Monitor appears on your computer screen, select Print in Black to print in black ink.
According to Epson, this workaround will only work on Epson’s SX420W/SX425W/NX420 series printers. Whether you have another model, test it out to see if it works.
2. Force print in Black and White
- Close any printing applications you’re using.
- To open Run, press Windows Key + R.
- To open Control Panel, type control and click OK.
- Select Hardware and Sound from the drop-down menu.
- Make a right-click on the printer you’re trying to set up.
- Select Printer Preferences from the drop-down menu.
- Open the Color Palette
- Select Grayscale Printing from the drop-down menu.
- Under the Print in grayscale option, select the High-quality setting from the drop-down list.
- To save the changes, click Apply and OK.
Close the window for Devices and Printers. Try printing the file with any program that has a print function. Click OK for any popup that asks if you want to print in black and white exclusively.
3. Disable Epson Status Monitor
- Press the Windows key on your keyboard.
- Control Panel is the result of typing control and clicking on it.
- Go to Devices and Printers under Hardware and Sound.
- Select Printer Preferences by right-clicking on your printer.
- Look for the box labeled “Speed and Progress.”
- To disable the Epson Status Monitor, look for Disable Epson Status Monitor and check the option.
- Select the Save option.
By following the procedures above, you may get rid of the obnoxious Epson Status Monitor warning message that appears when you use third-party ink cartridges.
4. Run Printer Troubleshooter
- To open Settings, press Windows Key + I.
- Update and security are both open.
- Navigate to the Troubleshoot tab.
- Select Printer.
- To run the troubleshooter, click the Run the troubleshooter button.
- Follow the on-screen instructions and make any suggested changes.
Try printing in black and white after applying the fix to see if the error has been repaired.
If the problem persists, you should investigate whether the printer hardware is malfunctioning. Remove the cartridge and inspect it for any debris obstructing the printing. Check to see if you have enough ink to print in black and white.
The majority of printers require the usage of their proprietary ink cartridges and will not print if a third-party ink cartridge is used. Below are some fantastic Epson ink cartridge suggestions.
Best Epson ink cartridges to buy
1. Epson T252XL120 DURABrite (Black)
Epson’s innovative DURABrite Ultra Ink produces smudge, fade, and water-resistant prints for a beautiful outcome on both plain and glossy surfaces. Individual ink cartridges are the sole way to replace a cartridge that has run out.
2. Epson T069120-BCS DURABrite
Black, Cyan, Magenta, and Yellow color cartridges are included in the Epson T069120-BCS DURABrite Ultra Black and Color Combo Pack. It’s a fantastic option for occasional printing. If you plan to print in large quantities, go for the XL/High-Capacity bundle.
The Epson printer won’t print black and white without color ink commonly happens when the ink cartridges are running low. However, the remedies provided in the article above can help you get past this problem.
I hope you found this guide useful. If you’ve got any questions or comments, don’t hesitate to use the shape below.
1. Is it still possible to print in black and white without a color cartridge?
KEY TAKEAWAYS INCLUDE: Printing in black and white without using color ink is possible, but only on certain printers. It’s simple to print without color ink by switching to the grayscale mode in printer options. Buying a black and white only printer is more cost-effective if you print predominantly in black and white.
2. Will my printer operate if I just have a black cartridge?
When color ink is depleted but black ink is still available, you can print with only black ink for a short period. However, you should replace any ink cartridges that have run out as soon as possible.
3. I’m not sure how to get my printer to disregard empty cartridges.
Press the “Menu” button on the printer control panel. Go to the “Service” setting and press “Enter” using the Left and Right arrow buttons. Go to “Restore Defaults” and press “Enter” using the Left and Right arrow buttons. Your printer will now revert to factory default settings.
4. Epson printer will not print black and white without replacing
5. An Epson printer won’t print B&W without color ink – Reddit