Here we can see, “Sudden Packet Loss Diablo 3: How to Test and Fix It?”
- Blizzard Entertainment produced and released Diablo 3, a popular hack’n’slash game. It’s the third installment in the Diablo series, and it came out in 2012.
- This post will look at one of Diablo 3’s less enjoyable features: unexpected packet loss. We’ll show you how to check for packet loss and suggest some fast remedies.
Blizzard Entertainment produced and released Diablo 3, a popular hack’n’slash game. It’s the third installment in the Diablo series, and it came out in 2012. That was 8 years ago, and the game is still going strong.
That shouldn’t come as a surprise, given the fact that Diablo 2 still has a sizable player base.
Diablo 3 allows players to create a character by selecting one of the game’s seven classes and then going on a quest to fight Diablo, the demonic overlord. You can do it on your own or with others.
If you’ve played any of the prior games, you’ll know that working together isn’t always easy. In fact, as more players join your server, the game becomes tougher.
However, we didn’t get together to talk about Diablo 3’s brilliance. Instead, we’ll look at one of the less enjoyable aspects of it: unexpected packet loss.
What is sudden packet loss in Diablo 3?
The symptoms are usually the same, no matter where you face packet loss. Data packets sent through your connection never arrive at their intended destination. As a result, you may have more obvious problems.
For example, the game slows to a crawl, you rubberband all over the area, you can’t access your inventory, and the game simply ceases to respond to your commands.
You might even disconnect from the game if the packet loss is extreme (what we like to call a packet loss storm). And believe me, that’s not something you want to happen while fighting Diablo or any of its spawns.
How to see packet loss in Diablo?
1. Use pathping
- Go to the Battle.net website and look for the pathping article.
- From the combination menu, choose Diablo III.
- Create a CMD instance with elevated privileges and write down the IP address you want to test on.
- Type pathping x.x.x.x (replace x.x.x.x with the IP you wrote before)
- Wait for the test to be completed.
- Check to see whether any packets have been lost and where they are.
2. Use Blizzard’s Looking-Glass tool
- Go to the Blizzard Looking Glass website to learn more.
- Choose your region from the drop-down menu.
- Diablo 3 can be found on the service menu.
- Make sure MTR is selected at the very least.
- Select the Run Test option.
- Wait for the test to finish before checking the Test Result screen for any packet loss.
How to fix sudden packet loss in Diablo 3?
1. Try using a VPN
- Download Private Internet Access
- Download and install it on your computer.
- Start it up and sign in to your account.
- Connect to a server with a low ping.
- Perform any of the tests listed above.
- Check to see whether the issue still exists.
On the plus side, a VPN can help you with various additional issues, including privacy concerns, connection security, and avoiding geo-restrictions.
2. Perform manual troubleshooting
- Restart your router and/or modem if necessary.
- Connect directly to your modem or phone line.
- Instead of using wireless, use a cable connection (Wi-Fi leaks packets often)
- On your end, inspect and replace/repair/update/upgrade any defective components (drivers, cables, PC, router)
- If at all possible, avoid peak hours.
- Select Scan and Repair from the Diablo 3 Options menu in the Battle.net launcher window.
- Start the game again.
- Contact them if the problem appears to be on your ISP’s end.
- If the server appears to be having issues, contact Blizzard and let them know.
Remember that network congestion is the most common cause of packet loss. Except if you’re a network administrator who knows how to optimize routing and manage subnets, you cannot do much about it.
As a result, the best strategy to reduce packet loss is to wait for it to resolve itself.
Diablo 3 packet loss can be solved
You’ve learned how to check for packet loss in Diablo 3 and several easy remedies for the problem. If the problem is with your ISP, the most effective solution is to invest in a reliable VPN.
However, there are various reasons for packet loss, and your ISP may or may not be to blame for all of them. As a result, you may need to rely on your troubleshooting skills to improve, if not completely eliminate, packet loss.
I hope you found this guide useful. If you’ve got any questions or comments, don’t hesitate to use the shape below.
1. Anyone else getting massive packet loss and DCs? : r/diablo3
2. Are you having the rubberband/latency issue? : r/Diablo – Reddit
3. Good ping, 0 packet loss on my end. Why am I being punished