Here we can see, “How to Use the Conversation Clean Up Tool in Outlook”
Some people prefer to maintain their Outlook folders in tip-top shape, with emails neatly organized and stored in a logical, minimum folder structure. Because most of us aren’t like that, Microsoft has created tools to assist us. The Conversation Cleanup tool, for example, is a little-known feature that deletes or eliminates unnecessary emails from a conversation. This is how it goes.
The Chat Clean Up tool can be used to clean up a single conversation, a folder, or a folder and its sub-folders. It searches for redundant emails or those that are duplicated in full in another chat message.
Depending on how you’ve set it up, it then deletes (by default) or transfers these emails to another folder. This prevents your mailbox from becoming overburdened with duplicate messages.
- You must first configure the Conversation Clean Up options. Navigate to File > Options > Mail, then to the “Conversation Clean Up” section.
- Conversation Cleanup deletes items by default, but if you wish to move redundant items to a folder instead, click “Browse” and select the Folder you want to move them to. This is useful if you want to double-check that the messages found by the program are truly redundant.
- In our experience, the Conversation Cleanup tool is reliable, but there’s no replacement for double-checking things yourself.
- The other default values are usually fine because they make sense, but if your situation or preferences are different, go ahead and turn the parameters on or off as you see appropriate. To return to Outlook, click “OK” once you’ve got the settings where you want them.
- It would help if you now opened the tool. Click the “Clean Up” button on the “Home” tab. The drop-down menu allows you to clean up the currently chosen conversation in the Folder, the entire Folder, or the entire Folder and its sub-folders.
- If you don’t require the “Clean Up Conversation” option, you may get to this menu by going to Folder> Clean Up Folder.
- For the time being, we’ll call it “Clean Up Folder,” although the method is the same whether you’re cleaning up a discussion, a folder, or a folder plus its sub-folders. You may also right-click a folder in the Navigation pane and pick “Clean Up Folder” for a one-click solution.
- A warning appears when you run this tool for the first time, prompting you to adjust the parameters, execute the tool, or abort the action.
- Enable the “Don’t show this message again” option if you want the tool to run without seeing this popup.
- To run the utility, click “Clean Up Folder” (if the “Don’t show this message again” option is enabled, the tool will run whenever you pick it from now on). A status alert displays in the bar at the bottom of Outlook when the tool is working, which can take a long if you’re running it for the first time on a folder with a lot of messages.
While this is operating, you can continue to use Outlook. The tool is finished when the status notice vanishes. It won’t tell you when it’s done—the program is meant to run in the background and assist you rather than flood you with messages—but it will let you know if it can’t discover any messages to clean up.
It’s as simple as that. This tool detected 502 emails that could be eliminated when we ran it on a folder with 2487 emails. It’s an eye-opener and a tool worth using if you’re running out of space or weary of digging through talks. Over a fifth of the emails in the Folder were repetitive, so it’s an eye-opener and a tool worth using if you’re running out of space or tired of wading through conversations.
I hope you found this information helpful. Please fill out the form below if you have any queries or comments.
- When you’re invited to a meeting, what does Outlook instantly highlight?
When you are invited to a meeting, you will receive a customized email message with the following buttons: Accept: Outlook automatically adds the appointment to your schedule and sends a new email message to the meeting organizer informing them of your selection.
- What does Outlook’s clean-up outdated items function do?
When you depart Outlook, the Deleted Things folder is immediately emptied, allowing you to quickly clean up your deleted items. Choose File > Options > Advanced tab to activate this feature. Check the Empty Deleted Items folder when departing Outlook from the Outlook start and exit option, then OK to apply.
- Can you save space by archiving Outlook emails?
While most email providers provide ample storage capacity, you may want to archive your folders to free up more room in your inbox. You can automatically archive folder items that meet your criteria, such as items older than three months, using Microsoft Outlook.
- Stay on top of shared mailboxes
- Outlook 365 – Conversation Cleanup