Here we can see, “How to Convert HEIC Images to JPG on a Mac”
What is HEIC?
HEIC is that the name that Apple gave to its container for the HEIF (High-Efficiency Image File) image format and is predicated on the HEVC (High-Efficiency Video Compression) video format.
What it means for you’re high-quality images that take up less space for storing because of a more modern compression method.
You can disable HEIC on the iPhone, but since its introduction in iOS 11, it’s become Apple’s default photo storage format. So you’ve probably been using it without even knowing.
How to Convert HEIC to JPG on a Mac With Preview
HEIC (High-Efficiency Image Container) is a picture format used for storing photos captured on smartphones. Many device manufacturers, including Apple, Samsung, and Google, have adopted HEIC as an efficient way of storing photo files without losing data.
However, HEIC remains relatively new and doesn’t enjoy an equivalent level of broad support because of the older JPG format (aka JPEG). This will cause issues when trying to upload a HEIC file to certain websites and apps. On the other hand, converting a HEIC file to JPG is comparatively simple to try to to.
It’s easy to convert HEIC to JPEG once you use the Preview application that comes on every Mac. After that, it takes just a couple of steps to convert your image file to a more recognizable format.
- Locate the File you would like to convert and double-click it to open Preview or drag and drop a picture onto the Preview icon within the Dock.
- In Preview, click File> Export.
- To convert the image to JPG, click Format, then click JPEG.
- Adjust the standard slider to export a bigger or smaller file.
- Click Save to export the File.
How to Convert HEIC to JPG Using Squoosh in a Browser
The Google Squoosh software is great for converting and compressing files via an internet browser. For example, here’s the way to use it to convert a HEIC file to JPG.
- In a browser, navigate to https://squoosh.app/.
- Find the HEIC file you would like to convert to JPG. Then, drag and drop it onto the Squoosh website to upload it to the online app.
- Wait, your HEIC image loads within the Squoosh app.
- The web app automatically converts your image to JPG upon export.
- To save your HEIC image as a JPG file, adjust the standard slider as needed, then click the download arrow within the lower-left corner.
- Save your JPG image to your device.
- Why are my photos HEIC rather than JPG?
Since iOS 11, the HEIC file replaced the JPG file format, the standard quiet image that most folks are conversant in. HEIC files are smaller, take over less storage space, and are said to possess better image quality. So if you’re creating “live” photos or “bursts,” you’re using HEIC photos.
- Why are my pictures beginning as HEIC?
HEIC is Apple’s file format name for the new HEIF (High-Efficiency Image Format) Standard. Using advanced and modern compression methods allows photos to be created in smaller file sizes while retaining a better image quality than JPEG/JPG.
- Can I delete HEIC files?
Tick the HEIC photos you would like to get rid of and click on the trash icon at the rock bottom corner. Then you will get a pop-up window. Step 3. Confirm the “Delete” order then your selected pictures are going to be removed soon.
- Is there a simple thanks to converting photos from HEIC to JPEG in bulk?
- Can’t do anything with HEIC images?