Here we can see “windows update error code: (0x80073712)”
Fixing Error Code 0x80073712 on Windows 10
No doubt, Windows 10 has been carefully patched and polished. Yet, many of its features leave tons to be desired: as an example, Windows Update remains vulnerable and susceptible to error. Windows Update Error 0x80073712 may be a clear example of this: the question difficulty may be a common concern for those that wish to stay their Win 10 up so far.
The error code 0x80073712 means some files needed by your Windows Update are either missing or corrupt. the great news is, the matter in question doesn’t imply that your precious OS is doomed to stagnation and consequent decay. On the contrary, Windows Update Error 80073712 is perfectly solvable. To urge prevent it, you would like nothing quite a touch of determination and, therefore, the proven fixes below.
All systems go:
Scan Your PC for Malware
First and foremost, let’s exclude malware issues since they’re often responsible for persistent Windows Update errors. Thereupon, we recommend you utilize your third-party antivirus software or the built-in Windows Defender tool to run a full system scan.
Here is the way to use Windows Defender in Windows 10 for this purpose:
- Start -> Settings -> Update & Security -> Windows Defender
- Open Windows Defender -> Select the complete option
Furthermore, you ought to know that the solutions above aren’t enough to keep your system 100% safe and secure. With this in mind, add a layer of protection. For instance, think about using Auslogics Anti-Malware: this intuitive and reliable tool will sweep out all kinds of malicious entities and help stay hostile software cornered.
Run Windows Update Troubleshooter
Second, you ought to make use of Windows Update Troubleshooter. This built-in Microsoft solution is meant to find and fix update issues in your OS automatically.
Here is how you’ll run this tool in Windows 10:
- Press Windows logo key and X simultaneously -> Click on the instrument panel.
- Select Category -> Choose Large or Small icons.
- Select Troubleshooting -> within the left pane, click on View all
- Locate Windows Update -> Select it -> Windows Update Troubleshooter will open -> Follow the on-screen prompts to resolve your problem
- Restart your PC for the changes to require effect and see if you’ll use Windows Update now
3. Run the DISM and SFC Tools to Repair Your System Files
If the solutions above are to no avail, your Windows files could be damaged or missing. So, the subsequent logical step is to run the Deployment Image Servicing and Management (DISM) solution and then use System File Checker (SFC).
You can do this in Windows 10 by taking the subsequent steps:
- First, press Windows logo key + S to open Search -> Type CMD into it.
- Select prompt from the list -> Right-click thereon and prefer to run it as administrator to open an elevated prompt.
- You might be asked for confirmation or your administrator credentials -> Provide everything that’s needed to proceed.
- Type’ DISM.exe /Online /Cleanup-image /Restorehealth’ (no quotes) into your prompt and hit Enter -> The scan may take a short time, so twiddling my thumbs -> It goes without saying that you aren’t alleged to abort the method.
- Now it’s time to use the System File Checker tool: input the ‘sfc /scan now command (no quotes) and hit Enter -> Wait until you get the all-clear to proceed.
You will receive a report on the scan -> counting on the message, take appropriate action.
Rename SoftwareDistribution folder
This is another reportedly effective fix for Windows Update Error 0x80073712. To perform the trick, make use of the guide below:
1. Open your elevated prompt (see the previous method to work out how)
2. Input these commands, hitting Enter after each:
- net stop wuauserv
- net stop cryptSvc
- net stop bits
- net stop msiserver
- rename c:\windows\SoftwareDistribution software distribution. old
- net start wuauserv
- net start cryptSvc
- net start bits
- net start msiserver
3. Restart the PC and check if your problem has gone.
Restart Windows Update services
No luck so far? Don’t worry, since restarting your Windows Update services may help:
- Press Windows logo key and R simultaneously to open Run -> Input services.msc -> Then press Enter.
- Please search for the Windows Update service -> Check its status.
- If it’s not indicated, right-click on the service and choose Start to force start your Windows Update.
- If you see a mistake, locate the Startup Type option and set it to Automatic.
- Now you ought to reboot your computer and see if your Windows Update is OK.
6. Reset your Windows Update components
The point is, a number of your Windows Update components could also be having issues. This suggests that you should reset them manually to urge obviate the annoying update error 0x80073712:
1. Open your elevated prompt and input the subsequent commands. confirm to hit Enter after each:
- net stop bits
- net stop wuauserv
- net stop appidsvc
- net stop cryptsvc
- Del “%ALLUSERSPROFILE%\Application Data\Microsoft\Network\Downloader\qmgr*.dat”
- cd /d %windir%\system32
- regsvr32.exe atl.dll
- regsvr32.exe urlmon.dll
- regsvr32.exe mshtml.dll
- regsvr32.exe shdocvw.dll
- regsvr32.exe browseui.dll
- regsvr32.exe jscript.dll
- regsvr32.exe vbscript.dll
- regsvr32.exe scrrun.dll
- regsvr32.exe msxml.dll
- regsvr32.exe msxml3.dll
- regsvr32.exe msxml6.dll
- regsvr32.exe actxprxy.dll
- regsvr32.exe softpub.dll
- regsvr32.exe wintrust.dll
- regsvr32.exe dssenh.dll
- regsvr32.exe rsaenh.dll
- regsvr32.exe gpkcsp.dll
- regsvr32.exe sccbase.dll
- regsvr32.exe slbcsp.dll
- regsvr32.exe cryptdlg.dll
- regsvr32.exe oleaut32.dll
- regsvr32.exe ole32.dll
- regsvr32.exe shell32.dll
- regsvr32.exe initpki.dll
- regsvr32.exe wuapi.dll
- regsvr32.exe wuaueng.dll
- regsvr32.exe wuaueng1.dll
- regsvr32.exe wucltui.dll
- regsvr32.exe wups.dll
- regsvr32.exe wups2.dll
- regsvr32.exe wuweb.dll
- regsvr32.exe qmgr.dll
- regsvr32.exe qmgrprxy.dll
- regsvr32.exe wucltux.dll
- regsvr32.exe muweb.dll
- regsvr32.exe wuwebv.dll
- netsh winsock reset
- netsh winhttp reset proxy
- net start bits
- net start wuauserv
- net start appidsvc
- net start cryptsvc
2. Close your prompt and attend the Microsoft Support website. Download the newest Windows Update agent from there and install it on your computer, following the on-screen prompts. Finally, restart your PC and see if this method worked for you.
Fix your registry issues
If you continue to encounter the error code 0x80073712 on your Windows 10, you ought to consider checking the registry – it’s going to be corrupt or damaged, so you would possibly get to modify it. We don’t recommend that you do this manually, as even a misplaced comma or letter can kill your system. You would like a reliable tool to believe during this regard, and 100% free Auslogics Registry Cleaner is prepared to offer you its hand. It’ll get your registry back on target in no time without running the danger of damaging your Windows. Your PC’s safety should come first, full stop.
Use a unique tool to resolve this issue
Download a software developed by Auslogics to troubleshoot the matter without much effort. It’s a safe and intelligent solution.
Your Windows Update is meant to figure well now.
- Unable to put in Windows Updates, Error code 0x80073712
I have not been ready to install the critical updates, and therefore the Error codes are
How do I resolve this?
2. Windows 10: Error code: 0x80073712 once I attempt to update
I phone with PC (dell windows 10 64bit) due following update error. Some updated files are missing or have problems. We’ll attempt to download the update again later. Error code: (0x80073712)
I tried with the following options, but still, the problem update is due
Step 1: Use System File Checker to repair damaged Windows files
Step 2: Run the DISM tool
3. Updates Failed Error code: 0x80073712
I have attempted to put in KB4284848 several times but still get the error code 0x80073712.
Reading through a number of the community posts, I ran WuReset 2.0 for windows 10 because the administrator, and therefore the KB, continued to fail installation.
4. Windows Update Error: Code 80073712
I’ve been receiving Windows Update Error 80073712 for the past few days now. I think it had been caused by me not having the ability to use my computer for ~5 months. I read that you’ll receive this error without using Windows Update for an extended period of your time.
5. Error code: (0x80073712) once I attempt to update
it constantly gives me the 0x80073712 error code. I’ve tried using the windows update troubleshooter & DISM. The updates are 2021-05 Cumulative Update Preview for .NET Framework 3.5 and 4.8 Windows 10 Version 20H2 for x64-based Systems (KB5003253) & CumulativeUpdate Preview for Windows 10 Version 20H2 for x64-based Systems (KB5003214)