Here we can see, “100% Fix: VPN Is Not Working on Windows 7 Computers”
- If your VPN isn’t working correctly on your Windows 7 device, it’s time to take action.
- If you want to secure your privacy from cyberthreats, you’ll need a VPN these days.
- However, if your VPN suddenly stops operating, your privacy may be jeopardized.
- To quickly fix your VPN connection, follow the steps outlined below.
Do you have trouble getting your VPN to function on your Windows 7 computer? For you, we have the best options.
Windows customers reported that their VPN was not working on their Windows 7 computers. The causes of this issue are several. However, we’ve created a list of fixes that may be useful.
What should you do if your VPN doesn’t work on Windows 7?
1. Switch your VPN provider
While Windows 7 is no longer the most up-to-date operating system, it remains a popular choice among consumers worldwide.
To preserve your privacy and secure your data, you’ll need a powerful tool.
2. Switch your Internet provider
Limited/inactive internet connections have been reported to cause the VPN to fail to work with Windows 7. As a result, you should consider changing your Internet connection and then attempting to use the VPN.
Suppose you’re using a dial-up modem internet connection, for example. You might want to consider switching to a LAN, broadband, or Wi-Fi connection or any of the various internet connection options available to you.
Furthermore, unplug from the VPN service and test your internet connection by going to any page in your browser to see if it works. If the issue remains, move on to the next step.
3. Examine your time zone’s date and time settings
Because of incorrect date and time settings on Windows 7, users have claimed that their VPN does not work with their PC. Confirm that the date and time settings are correct.
Disable automatic date and time updates through the Internet and manually set the date/time parameters. Additionally, you might consider altering your region/location on your VPN settings to reflect the selected server location.
4. Turn off your security software for the time being
Some antivirus products may block your VPN connection. As a result, you may need to temporarily disable your antivirus or firewall on your Windows 7 PC to utilize it.
On the other hand, some antivirus systems provide a temporary disable protection option that you can use, but others do not.
You can also use the Windows Firewall to enable the VPN software. This is how you do it:
- Press the Enter key after typing Allow a program via Windows firewall in the Start menu.
- Change the settings by clicking on it.
- Now, select Allow another program from the drop-down menu.
- Click OK after selecting the program you wish to add or browsing for VPN software.
- Check to see if your VPN is working.
To find out where your IP address is, utilize an online site like IPLocation or WhatIsMyIPAddress.
5. Use the Windows functionality to connect
Another option for resolving the VPN not functioning with Windows 7 issue is to use the Windows VPN functionality to connect manually. This is how you do it:
- Press and hold the Windows key while typing VPN, then press and hold the Enter key.
- In the Internet Address box, type the address of your VPN provider. (Depending on your VPN provider’s server information, you can enter an address like vpn.windowsreport.com or a numerical IP address.)
- Choose a name for your destination (VPN connection name).
- Now, input the VPN username and password that your VPN provider provided to you.
- Select Connect Now and follow the on-screen instructions.
All of your network traffic will be routed through a VPN when connected. You can expand your VPN connection list by adding extra VPN connections.
6. Clear the DNS cache/flush the DNS
Flushing your DNS and emptying your web browser’s cache are two alternative ways to solve the VPN problem. However, your Internet Service Provider’s DNS records could be incorrect.
As a result, you’ll need to flush your DNS and erase your browser’s cache. This is how you do it:
Step 1: Clear the DNS cache.
- To begin, select Start > Enter the command prompt.
- Select Command Prompt from the Start menu (Admin)
- Press Enter after typing ipconfig /flushdns. You should receive a confirmation message that reads: Configuring the IP Address in Windows. The DNS Resolver Cache was successfully flushed.
Step 2: Delete the Cache in Your Web Browser
- Start your web browser, such as Microsoft Edge.
- To open the Clear recent history dialog box, press Ctrl + Shift + Delete.
- Select Everything from the Time range to clear the drop-down menu.
- Make sure the Cache box is checked. Clear Now should be selected.
7. Download and install Windows Update
Another option to fix the VPN not functioning on Windows 7 is updating your operating system to the most recent version. The most recent Windows updates improve system stability and address various issues.
To update any Windows operating system, follow these steps:
- Go to Start> Start > put windows update into the search box, and then click Windows Update.
- Check for updates in the Windows Update window and install any that are available.
- Restart your Windows PC after the update is complete.
8. Reinstall the VPN client
You could also try reinstalling your VPN client and then trying to use it again. This is how you do it:
- First, go to Start > Control Panel to access the Control Panel.
- Then, under the Programs menu, select Uninstall an application.
- Next, select Uninstall from the list of apps to remove your VPN.
- After a successful uninstall, you’ll receive a notification, so click Close to leave the Setup Wizard.
- If the VPN is still shown as available after removing it, open the Network Connections window by going to Start > Run and typing ncpa.cpl, and press Enter.
- Right-click on the WAN Miniport designated your VPN under Network Connections.
- Choose Delete.
- Press Enter after typing Network Connections in the Start menu. Delete a VPN connection by right-clicking it and selecting Delete.
- Choose a VPN service. Delete your VPN if it appears to be available.
After completing the uninstall, install the VPN software on your PC and start using it.
9. Examine your network connection options
If your VPN on Windows 7 isn’t working, try altering your network settings. Follow these steps to do so:
- First, navigate to the Network and Internet section of the Control Panel.
- Now select Network and Sharing Center > Manage network connections from the drop-down menu.
- Select Organize > Layout > Menu Bar from the drop-down menu. Then, select Advanced > Advanced Settings from the drop-down menu.
- Select the Adapters and Binding tab from the drop-down menu.
- Reorganize the connections in the Connections list to make your primary connection at the top of the list.
- To save your changes, click OK.
I hope you found this guide useful. If you’ve got any questions or comments, don’t hesitate to use the shape below.
1. Why isn’t my VPN on my computer working?
Check your network settings, change your server, make sure the right ports are open, disable the firewall, and reinstall your VPN program if your VPN software isn’t operating properly. If none of the solutions below work, you should contact your VPN provider.
2. Is VPN compatible with Windows 7?
When it comes to VPNs, Windows users have a lot of options. Because Windows is the most widely used operating system on the planet, practically every VPN service caters to its consumers. The majority of their apps are compatible with all recent versions of Windows, including Windows 7, Windows 8, Windows 10, and now Windows 11.
3. How do I set up a VPN connection on Windows 7?
“Set up a new connection or network” is an option in the Network and Sharing Center (under Control Panel, Network and Internet). To begin the process, click “Connect to a Workplace” to launch the connection wizard, and then pick “Use my Internet connection (VPN)” from the drop-down menu.
4. What to do if KB5010793 doesn’t fix the VPN bug? – Reddit
What to do if KB5010793 doesn’t fix the VPN bug? from techsupport
5. New VPN issues while work from home : r/sysadmin – Reddit