Here we can see, “Your PC needs to be repaired: Fix for Windows 8, 8.1”
For Windows 8 or 8.1, get the solution to the “Your PC needs to be repaired” boot issue.
Symptoms and description
This mistake is linked to the error messages, alerts, warnings, and symptoms listed below.
Symptom 1: A startup error message appears on your computer, indicating that it needs to be fixed
Only Windows 8 and Windows 8.1 users will see the “Your PC needs to be repaired” message, characterised by a specific problem code.
These issues can also occur in Windows Vista and Windows 7; however, they will not display the “Your PC needs to be repaired” message.
The error code is always displayed on the error screen. That error code can help you figure out why your machine isn’t working. The error code can be found below the File: row, in the Error code: row, on the “Your PC needs to be repaired” screen.
The text on the screen is as follows:
Recovery Your PC needs to be repaired The Boot Configuration Data for your PC is missing or contains errors. File: \boot\bcd Error code: 0xc000000f You'll need to use the recovery tools on your installation media. If you don't have any installation media (like a disc or USB device), contact your system administrator or PC manufacturer. Press Enter to try again Press F8 for Startup Settings Press Esc for UEFI Firmware Settings
“0xc0000225” is the error code:
Recovery Your PC needs to be repaired. An unexpected error has occurred. Error code: 0xc0000225 You'll need to use the recovery tools on your installation media. If you don't have any installation media (like a disc or USB device), contact your system administrator or PC manufacturer. Press Enter to try again Press F8 for Startup Settings Press Esc for UEFI Firmware Settings
This Error’s Causes
The following are the most prevalent causes of this error:
Cause 1: BCD is corrupted or absent
The BCD being absent or corrupted is one of the most typical reasons. This could occur due to disc write problems, power outages, boot sector viruses, or mistakes made while manually configuring the BCD.
Cause 2: The integrity of the file system has been violated
The file system may become corrupt or damaged for the same reasons. When a computer is turned off while it is in the middle of writing important data to the boot sector, this happens even more frequently.
Cause 3: System files have been corrupted
For the same reasons, system files can become corrupt or destroyed.
On Windows, How to Fix “Your PC needs to be repaired.”
Fix 1: Use Easy Recovery Essentials
Easy Recovery Essentials’ built-in Automated Repair feature can automatically fix numerous issues like these. EasyRE can be downloaded and produced on any PC and is presently available for Windows XP, Vista, 7, and 8.
- Easy Recovery Essentials is a free download. Before you download EasyRE, note your Windows version (XP, Vista, 7, or 8).
- The image should be burned.
- Start your computer with the Easy Recovery Essentials CD or USB you made.
- After EasyRE has started, select “Automated Repair” and click Continue.
- After EasyRE has finished scanning your computer’s discs, find and pick the drive letter for your Windows installation from the list, and then click the Automated Repair option to start the repair process.
- Easy Recovery Essentials will begin looking for faults on the selected drive. EasyRE will scan the disc, partition, bootsector, filesystem, bootloader, and registry for faults and rectify them automatically. EasyRE’s repair is automated; thus, no interaction is required
- EasyRE will provide its findings after the process is completed. To reboot your PC and test the changes, click the Restart option.
- As soon as your computer starts up, the “Your PC needs to be repaired” error should be gone.
Fix 2: Investigate the error code
To resolve and remove the “Your PC needs to be repaired” error that prevents Windows 8 from starting, you must first determine the error code:
- If you have “Error code: 0xc0000225”
- If you have “Error code: 0xc000000f”
- If you have “Error code: 0xc000014c”
- If you have “Error code: 0xc0000098”
- And so on
Error code: row is where you’ll find the error code. Once you’ve determined what’s causing the problem, troubleshoot it to find particular solutions.
Fix 3: Disconnect all hardware and peripherals
Restart your computer after removing all unneeded accessories except your mouse and keyboard.
Ensure there are no CDs, DVDs, or USB drives connected in.
If you’ve just installed new hardware to your computer, unplug it, restart it, and see if the error screen reappears.
Fix 4: Rebuild the BCD
The “File:” row for certain errors lists “\boot\bcd” as a possible damaged or corrupt file that’s generating the “Your PC needs to be repaired” prompt, along with the specific problem code in the “Error code:” row.
Because your computer’s BCD file may be broken or corrupted in these instances, you can rebuild the BCD.
To do so, take the following steps:
- Insert the installation DVD or USB drive that came with the computer.
- Your computer should be restarted.
- Start the computer from the disc/USB.
- Click Repair your computer or press R on the Install screen.
- Select Troubleshoot.
- Click Command Prompt.
- Type the following commands:
bootrec /FixMbr bootrec /FixBoot bootrec /ScanOs bootrec /RebuildBcd
8. After each command, press Enter.
9. Remove the installation DVD/USB after the bootrec /RebuildBcd command has completed the process.
10. Type exit and press Enter
11. Restart your computer
Fix 5: Make the proper partition active
You can use the diskpart programme to set the proper partition as active if the error screen shows because a wrong partition is set as active:
- Insert and boot from the original DVD/USB installation media.
- On the Install page, select Repair your machine.
- Select Troubleshoot > Command Prompt from the drop-down menu.
- Type the following command:
5. Press Enter
6. Type this command:
7. Press Enter
8. Decide which partition needs to be made active.
9. Type this command:
select partition x
Where x is the partition that must be active.
10. Press Enter
11. Type this command:
12. Press Enter
13. This this command:
14. Press Enter
I hope this information was helpful. If you have anything to add, please do so in the comments.
1. How can I get an automatic repair to work on my Windows 8 computer?
- Restart the computer after inserting the DVD.
- To boot from the DVD, press any key.
- Select a keyboard layout.
- At the Install now page, select Repair your machine.
- Select Troubleshoot from the drop-down menu.
- Select Advanced settings from the menu.
- Select Startup Settings from the menu.
- Press the Restart button.
2. What is the best way to repair Windows 8 without a CD?
Scroll down until you see “Remove everything and reinstall Windows,” then select “General.” Select “Next” after clicking “Get Started.” Choose “Clean the drive completely.” This option completely wipes your hard drive and instals Windows 8 from scratch. To confirm that you wish to reinstall Windows 8, click “Reset.”
3. How can I get Windows to repair itself?
When you first turn on your laptop, use F11 to get the Windows 10 Advanced Startup Options. Select Troubleshoot after your computer has booted. A secondary option is to boot from an install disc and select Next, then Repair.
4. Quick way to allow Windows 8.1 to self repair(for most issues)
5. BCD file suddenly broken (Windows 8.1 won’t boot)