Here we can see, “What Is the Removable Storage Devices Folder on My Desktop”
- After utilizing external storage or editing photos, the Removable Storage Devices folder is usually displayed on your desktop.
- It’s a phantom folder that won’t disappear even if you restart your computer.
- Because the registry can be a problem, you should try to fix it with a Windows 10 built-in utility.
- Scanning your PC with the most outstanding antivirus available is another way to remove the Removable Storage Devices folder.
Many users complained that a new folder called Removable Storage Devices appeared on their desktop after editing images on their PC or utilizing an SD card as an auxiliary disk.
The folder (which is occasionally empty) holds the available devices and drives on the computer and cannot be removed.
The folder was initially detected in 2018, and it was linked to the same year’s October Windows 10 update, which created numerous troubles.
The condition does not appear to have been resolved by subsequent cumulative Windows 10 upgrades. In fact, people were hesitant to uninstall it for fear of affecting the entire operating system.
Although the specific reason for the appearance of this folder is unknown, people have tried several methods to remove it without causing damage to the system.
What is the procedure for deleting the Removable Storage Devices folder?
1. Restart your computer
This is the most straightforward and commonsensical technique many users have used to remove the folder.
The temporary files should be erased by right-clicking on your desktop and selecting the Refresh option. This technique eliminated the folder, but only for a limited period.
The folder reappeared, according to many users. You might wish to attempt the following solutions from our guide in this scenario.
2. Execute the DISM command
- Type command into the search bar and a black Command Prompt icon should appear.
- Select Run as administrator from the drop-down menu.
- Type the following command in the command prompt window and click Enter:
DISM /Online /Cleanup-Image /RestoreHealth
It should take about 10-20 minutes to complete the operation, fixing any erroneous registry files.
This scan should fix the problem if the Removable Storage Devices folder is linked to wrongly configured system settings or damaged entries in the Windows registry.
3. Run a virus check
Because of a virus or malware, your device may be missing crucial updates or may not function properly.
To be safe, we recommend running a full antivirus scan. You can use Windows Defender, Windows’ built-in security feature, or a third-party antivirus program.
Instead of using Windows Defender, you should utilize a dedicated security program because the latter only provides rudimentary protection.
Use one of the top cybersecurity solutions to secure and protect your computer, sensitive data, online payments, passwords, smart home devices, and webcam.
I hope you found this information helpful. Please fill out the form below if you have any questions or comments.
1. Why does my desktop include a detachable storage device folder?
Incorrectly configured system settings or unusual entries in the Windows Registry are major causes of the Removable Storage Devices folder on the desktop. It can also be triggered by a virus or malware attack, an incorrect shutdown due to a power outage or other circumstances, or the deletion of system files or registry entries by accident.
2. What is the folder for removable storage devices?
In most circumstances, the Removable Storage Devices folder on the Desktop is a temporary folder that can be erased with a simple wipe. Simply right-click on a blank place on your Desktop and select Refresh from the contextual menu. Where it came from, the Removable Storage Devices folder on Desktop will vanish.
3. What is the procedure for deleting a detachable storage device?
- On the system tray, look for the Safely Remove Hardware icon.
- Select the icon for Safely Remove Hardware.
- Select the device you wish to get rid of.
- Remove or unplug the gadget.
4. Folder called Removable Storage appears on desktop – Reddit
5. r/Windows10 – How to get rid of the non-removable – Reddit