Here we can see, “How to: Change Program Files Location in Windows 10”
- If you change the Program Files location in Windows 10, you’ll also have to update the locations of the installed programs.
- This can be done by utilizing a specific tool to alter the Registry on your OS.
- Inserting a new path in the Value data portion of the key will immediately update the location.
- Because Microsoft does not enable changing the folder’s location, you will be liable for this operation.
If you have Windows 10 or any other version of Windows, you will very indeed find your Program Files folder on your C:/ drive, which is where the operating system is typically placed.
This is because the system has to check that the programs installed and the operating system is compatible.
Of course, you can modify this location at any time, and we’ll show you how in the tutorial a few rows below.
But first and foremost, we must understand the potential ramifications of changing the Program Files folder placement.
The program files folder is there for a reason; if you delete it, all of your programs will be transferred to a different location, and you may face system issues.
On Windows 10, how can I modify the Program Files directory?
- You’ll need to hold down the Windows and R keys while on your desktop.
- Press Enter after typing regedit.
- The Registry Editor window should now appear in front of you.
- Make your way to the following key:
- You can modify the path of the Program Files folder by double-clicking (left-clicking) on it and entering a new path in the Value data area of the window.
- After you’ve finished selecting a path, click OK and then close the Registry Editor window.
- If the modifications did not take effect after you closed the window, reboot the computer and try again.
Now that you know how to modify the path to the program files folder, you can see that it didn’t take long.
Keep in mind that changing the path to the program files folder can result in system issues.
Microsoft has made it clear that altering the location of application files is not supported:
Modifying the ProgramFilesDir registry value does not allow you to change the location of the Program Files folder. If you move the Program Files folder to a different place, you can have issues with some Microsoft products or software updates.
We hope that our solution assisted you in moving your Program Files folder to a new location. If complications arise, you should reverse the action.
I hope you found this guide useful. If you’ve got any questions or comments, don’t hesitate to use the shape below.
1. In Windows 10, how do I move a software to a different drive?
You may find a list of apps by going to the Start menu > Settings > System > Apps & Features. Step 2: Choose an app and then pick the Move option beneath that app, then choose a destination on another drive.
2. What’s the best way to migrate programmes from C to D?
Scroll down to Apps & features on Apps & games, select the appropriate application or programme, then click the “Move” button. Then, as the target place, choose D: or another drive, and click “Move” to move the selected application.
3. In Windows 10 Reddit, how can I change the default install location?
The best option is to backspace over C and write D in the space where it asks you where to install a new application when you install it. You may choose what disc you want various things to install to, as well as what drive/path to utilise for items like your images, in Windows 10.
4. Changed Default Program Files Directories, Windows 10
5. Is it possible to move Program Files, Program Files – Reddit