Here we can see, “How to Extract & Decompress Bz2 File in Windows 10”
- BZ2 files are mainly found on Linux and UNIX systems; however they can also be found on Windows 10.
- To open a BZ2 file on Windows 10, you’ll need to utilize specific tools, which we’ll show you how to do in this post.
BZ2 files are typically used on Linux or UNIX systems and can only compress one file at a time. It is not possible to utilize it for numerous files.
You can, however, compress many files with a separate tool and then use BZIP2 to compress the final archive.
Even while BZIP2 isn’t as widely utilized in Windows 10 as in other operating systems, there are still techniques to decompress BZ2 files.
This post will show you how to extract and decompress BZ2 on your Windows 10 device in a few simple steps.
How can I extract and decompress BZ2 files in Windows 10?
1. Use a dedicate tool
There are various tools available for decompressing and extracting BZ2 files, and after testing them all, we’d like to suggest the best one to use.
WinZip is a powerful application that can open various file formats, including BZ2, RAR, 7Z, ISO, IMG, TAR, GZ, TAZ, and TGZ.
This complicated program can handle all of the above formats and is much more than a simple compression and archiving tool.
WinZip can also repair and manage zip files and has a very robust security function.
Even while compressing your files, the near-bank-level encryption feature will keep them safe.
If you’re sharing them online or by email, you can rest certain that your information is safe and secure at all times. You can password encrypt your archive, making it impossible to open without it.
If you choose to safeguard them with a password, make sure to utilize a password management application to ensure that you have it at your fingertips whenever you need it.
This fantastic software allows you to transfer huge files via email. When a team needs to share a huge file, this is usually a major worry for all members.
WinZip will break the large file into smaller chunks (in the case of an ISO picture) without compromising the image quality.
Furthermore, if you’re used to working with online storage systems like Dropbox, Google Drive, or OneDrive, you’ll be able to manage your files in the cloud with WinZip without disrupting your workflow.
This multi-functional program may also unzip numerous files simultaneously and password-protect them.
Here is how you can extract the BZ2 files using WinZip:
- Make sure the BZ2 file is saved to your device.
- In WinZip, go to the Integration Panel and make sure the BZ2 file extension is checked.
- From the start menu, select WinZip.
- After that, go to File and select Open.
- Choose one or more files from the compressed folder.
- Choose where you want to save them by clicking Unzip.
Let’s have a look at some of its key features:
- Options for advanced compression
- File splitting and management.
- Duplicate files are automatically detected and deleted.
- Microsoft Teams integration is available.
- Encryption technology 128/256 AES.
- Backup options
2. Use an online tool
Using an internet website to extract and decompress BZ2 files is another simple and quick option.
Numerous solutions will accomplish this, and selecting the correct one for you should not be difficult.
These kinds of decompression websites usually run locally as a browser program, which speeds up the process.
Some will have size restrictions based on how they were built, limiting the size of the BZ2 file you’re trying to extract. However, some websites do not have such restrictions.
One thing to bear in mind is the privacy of your information. Given that you’ll be uploading them to the internet, it’s also crucial to evaluate how secure their website is.
Additionally, ensure that your antivirus is active and functioning properly before downloading the extracted files back into your device.
Given that the file will be downloaded over the Internet, it is preferable to have an additional layer of protection to protect your privacy.
3. Use Command Prompt
- Search for Command Prompt in the Start menu.
- Select Run as administrator from the context menu when you right-click CMD.
- Press Enter after typing the following command.
$ bunzip2 -k filename.bz2
That’s all there is to it. BZ2 files can be extracted and decompressed with ease in Windows 10.
You can extract them using CMD, a specialist application like WinZip, or online. Any of these are viable solutions that will perform admirably.
I hope you found this guide useful. If you’ve got any questions or comments, don’t hesitate to use the shape below.
1. What is the best way to decode a BZ2 file?
Simply right-click the bz2 file you wish to extract and choose “Extract.” To extract tar. bz2 files on Windows, use the 7zip program. Use the -v option to get a more detailed output.
2. What exactly is the BZ2 extension?
The bz2 file is a TAR archive that has been compressed using the Burrows-Wheeler (BZ2) compression technique and Run-Length Encoding (RLE) for improved compression. This file type is most typically used to distribute software packages on Unix-based operating systems such as Linux. Extracting or reading files from a tar archive.
3. In Terminal, how do I unzip a tar file?
The tar command is most commonly used to build and extract tar archives. Use the tar -xf command followed by the archive name to extract an archive, and tar -czf followed by the archive name and the files and folders you wish to add to the archive to create a new one.
4. How to Open and Extract .Gz or Tar.gz File in Windows 10
5. How to install tar.bz2 file? And having issue installing libreoffice.